By Peter Stoneley
Designed for college kids, students and basic readers with an curiosity in dance and queer historical past, A Queer heritage of the Ballet specializes in how, as makers and as audiences, queer women and men have helped to enhance a number of the texts, photos, and legends of ballet.
Presenting a chain of historic case reports, the publication explores the ways that, from the 19th century into the 20 th, ballet has been a way of conjuring homosexuality – of permitting a point of expression and visibility for those who have been differently declared unlawful and obscene.
- the perverse sororities of the Romantic ballet
- the fairy in folklore, literature, and ballet
- Tchaikovsky and the making of Swan Lake
- Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes and the emergence of queer modernity
- the formation of ballet in America
- the queer makes use of of the prima ballerina
- Genet’s writings for and approximately ballet.
Also together with a attention of ways ballet’s queer culture has been memorialized by way of such modern dance-makers as Neumeier, Bausch, Bourne, and Preljocaj, this can be an important e-book within the research of ballet and queer history.
Read Online or Download A Queer History of the Ballet PDF
Similar dance books
What sort of lady dances bare for cash? Bernadette Barton takes us within numerous strip bars and golf equipment, from upscale to again highway in addition to those who concentrate on lapdancing, desk dancing, topless basically, or peep indicates, to bare the startling lives of unique dancers. in line with over 5 years of analysis and from vacationing golf equipment round the kingdom, really in San Francisco, Hawaii, and Kentucky, Stripped deals a unprecedented portrait of not only how dancers get into the company yet what it is like if you happen to decide to strip yr after 12 months.
A revisionist examine romanticism in ballet.
Pina Bausch’s paintings has had large impression around the spectrum of overdue twentieth-century functionality perform, assisting to redefine the probabilities of what either dance and theater could be. This edited assortment provides a compendium of resource fabric and contextual essays that research Pina Bausch's heritage, perform and legacy, and the improvement of Tanztheater as a brand new shape, with sections including:Dance and theatre roots and connections;Bausch’s developmental process;The construction of Tanztheater;Bausch’s reception;Critical views.
The past the Dance flooring publication is a direction breaking research concerning the ladies who DJ digital dance tune. during this learn, the main target is given at the principally ignored dating among girls and the hegemonic conceptions of gender and know-how that proceed to notify this male ruled song tradition.
- Tango. Una pasión ilustrada (Spanish Edition)
- Hybrid Lives of Teaching Artists in Dance and Theatre Arts: A Critical Reader
- Sorry I Don't Dance: Why Men Refuse to Move
- Stretching Your Limits: Over 30 Step by Step Instructions for Ballet Stretch Bands
- The Dancer Within: Intimate Conversations with Great Dancers
Extra resources for A Queer History of the Ballet
A Queer History of the Ballet by Peter Stoneley